Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Subclass 187
This is a permanent visa open for workers who are on-shore or off-shore.
Who can apply?
As an employer, your business must be located anywhere in Australia except in the following areas:
There is only one stream available for this visa since 16.11.2019:
1. The Temporary Residence Stream for people who have held a 457 and/or a 482 visa for at least 3 years (or 2 years if transitional arrangements apply valid until 22 March 2022).
As an employer you must first apply for the position to be nominated.
1. Nomination of the position
As part of the requirements, you must show that:
- You have a need for a paid employee and
- The position to be filled is on the relevant skill occupation list (unless transitional arrangements apply)
- The position must provide a full-time employment for at least 2 years and
- The position must offer at least the same salary and employment terms and conditions that would be given to an Australian in the same role
- You have paid the "Skilling Australians Fund" levy as part of the nomination process
3. Visa application
Once the nomination have been approved (or just submitted if time issue), the employee must apply for a visa application.
Here are some of the main criteria:
- be aged less than 45
- have a good level of English (6 IELTS)
- skills assessment may be required
What can I do with a RSMS Visa?
You must provide full-time employment for at least 2 years in a regional area.
You must make sure that all relevant workplace laws and award conditions are met.
This is a permanent visa which entitles your employee and his/her family to live, work and study in Australia.
Your employee is entitled to access Australia's public medical assistance scheme (Medicare) and may also be able to access certain social security payments from Centrelink (beware of waiting periods).
S/he may be eligible for citizenship provided s/he meets the 4 year residency requirement and all other legal criteria.
If they cease working for you within 2 years of being granted the 187 visa, their visa may be cancelled.