Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) Subclass 187
This is a permanent visa open for workers who are on-shore or off-shore.
Who can apply?
As an employer, your business must be located anywhere in Australia except in the following areas:
- Brisbane and the Gold Coast
- Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong
There are 2 entry streams for this category of visa:
1. The Direct Entry Stream for people who have never (or only briefly) worked in Australia
2. The Temporary Residence Stream for people who have held a 457 and/or a 482 visa for at least 3 years (or 2 years if transitional arrangements apply valid until 22 March 2022).
Depending on the applicable entry stream, the various criteria to be met by the employer and the employee will vary. We suggest that you contact us for an initial assessment of your situation to see if you meet the eligibility criteria.
If you apply under the Direct entry stream, the process is as follows:
1. certification of the position by a regional certifying body. The designated authority will confirm that the position cannot be filled by an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident who is living in the same local area as the employer's business.
2. Nomination of the position
As part of the requirements, you must show that:
- You have a need for a paid employee and
- The position to be filled is on the relevant skill occupation list
- The position must provide a full-time employment for at least 2 years and
- The position must offer at least the same salary and employment terms and conditions that would be given to an Australian in the same role
- You have paid the "Skilling Australians Fund" levy as part of the nomination process
3. Visa application
once the certification and nomination have been approved, the employee must apply for a visa application.
The criteria will vary depending on the entry stream, but here are some of the criteria:
- be aged less than 45
- have a good level of English (6 IELTS)
- positive skills assessment for certain overseas qualified trade workers if direct entry stream
What can I do with a RSMS Visa?
You must provide full-time employment for at least 2 years in a regional area.
You must make sure that all relevant workplace laws and award conditions are met.
This is a permanent visa which entitles your employee and his/her family to live, work and study in Australia.
Your employee is entitled to access Australia's public medical assistance scheme (Medicare) and may also be able to access certain social security payments from Centrelink (beware of waiting periods).
S/he may be eligible for citizenship provided s/he meets the 4 year residency requirement and all other legal criteria.
If they cease working for you within 2 years of being granted the 187 visa, their visa may be cancelled.