Choose Language
Left Sidebar Page Type Image

Temporary business Long stay (457)

Temporary Business Entry (457)

This is a temporary visa.

Who can apply?

There are various criteria that need to be met both by the employer and the employee.

As an employer

You must first get approved as a sponsor. You must then get the position approved by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

As part of the requirements, you must show that:

- You are lawfully and actively operating your business in Australia or outside Australia (if you are an overseas business) and
- That you will be able to meet all your obligations as a sponsor and
- That you have a record of, or commitment to training your Australian and permanent resident staff (this requirement does not apply to overseas businesses) and
- That the position is a genuine position and
- That it is a skilled position (such as determined by the Government) and
- That the salary is of at least the Minimum Salary Level (such as determined by the Government)
- That the salary meets the Salary Market rate
- etc.

Your employee

Your prospective employee will have to meet various criteria to be eligible for a 457 visa:

- S/he must have the skills, qualifications and employment background necessary to perform the tasks of the position and
- S/he must meet the English language proficiency requirements and
- In certain cases, a skills assessment will be required
- Must have health cover
- etc.

Note that there is no age limit to apply for a 457 visa.

If you choose to appoint Migratus, we will assist you and represent you with all the steps:

- sponsorship application(s)
- nomination application(s)
- visa application(s)

Please contact us now and discuss your options with a qualified migration agent.

What can I do with a 457 Visa?

As an employer

This is a temporary visa which entitles you to sponsor overseas workers for up to 4 years.

As an employer, you must be able to meet your sponsorship obligations towards your employee(s) and accompanying family members.

As part of your obligations, you will have to:

- Meet the return travel costs to your employee's home country (for an employee and accompanying family members)
- Notify the department within 10 working days after your employee ceases to work for your company
- Notify the department within 10 working days if there is a change to the work duties carried out by the primary sponsored person
- Ensure your employee does not work in an occupation other than the nominated occupation
- Comply with all relevant laws relating to workplace relations
- Etc.

Your employee

This is a temporary visa which entitles your employee to work in Australia for up to 4 years. Your employee can take his/her spouse and children with him/her. They will be able to work and study in Australia.

One condition on your employee's visa is that s/he remains employed by the same employer in the same occupation.

As a temporary resident, your employee is not entitled to access Australia's public medical assistance scheme (Medicare) unless s/he is from a country that has reciprocal health arrangement with Australia. It is a visa condition that your employee have a health insurance cover.

With a 457 visa, your employee is not entitled to access any social security payments from Centrelink.