The Turnbull government is abolishing 457 visas. The 457 temporary visas for foreign workers will be replaced by a new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa.
The TSS visa programme will have 2 streams:
1. Short-Term stream up to two years
2. Medium-Term stream up to four years
The TSS visa programme will address genuine skill shortages and will contain a number of safeguards which prioritise Australian workers.
Some of the key reforms include:
- new occupations lists from 19.4.2017
- visa applicants should have at least 2 years' work experience in their skilled occupation
- capacity for only one onshore visa renewal under the Short-Term stream
- capacity for visa renewal onshore and a permanent residence pathway after three years under the Medium-Term stream
- for employer sponsored permanent skilled visas there will be tightened English language requirements as well as a requirement to have at least three years’ work experience and be under the maximum age requirement of 45 at the time of application (instead of 50).
The implementation of these reforms will begin immediately and will be completed in March 2018.
For a full list of intended changes, please visit http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/457-abolition-replacement