Choose Language
Left Sidebar Page Type Image

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)

There are 2 entry streams for this category of visa:

1. The Direct Entry Stream for people who have never (or only briefly) worked in Australia

2. The Temporary Residence Stream for people who have held a 457 visa for at least 2 years.

Depending on the applicable entry stream, the various criteria to be met by the employer and the employee will vary. We suggest that you contact us for an initial assessment of your situation to see if you meet the eligibility criteria.


Regardless of the entry stream applicable in your situation, you must first get the position approved by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. This is called the "Nomination" of the position.

As part of the requirements, you must show that:

- You have a need for a paid employee and 
- The position to be filled must correspond to an occupation listed on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List and
- The position must provide a full-time employment for at least 2 years and 
- The position must offer at least the same salary and employment terms and conditions that would be given to an Australian in the same role

- You have a current training strategy in place for your Australian employees

- etc.

Once the position is approved, the employee must apply for a visa application.

As explained above, the criteria will vary depending on the entry stream, but here are some of the criteria:

- be aged less than 50

- have a good level of English (5 or 6 IELTS depending on entry stream)

- positive skills assessment and 3 years relevant work experience if direct entry stream

- etc.


What can I do with an ENS Visa?

This is a permanent visa which entitles you and your family to live, work and study in Australia.

You are entitled to access Australia's public medical assistance scheme (Medicare). You may also be eligible to access certain social security payments from Centrelink (beware of waiting periods).

You may be eligible for citizenship provided you meet the 4 year residency requirement and all other legal criteria.